In this tutorial you will learn how to build your own website from scratch in under 20 minutes without any technical or coding experience. The foundation of your website will be complete in less than 20 minutes giving you the tools and the structure to create something amazing for the world to see.
Finding the right recipe
My Name is David Botha, I have been a marketing manager for over 14 years working with top global brands. I am passionate about teaching people about online business and inbound marketing strategies. At the end of the day, your success is my satisfaction
After 7 years experience in building websites, I have finally found the right recipe to get an effective website online. I have wasted time, energy and money over this time and am happy to share the best practices with you so you don’t fall into the same trap as what I did
I recommend you create your own website with me through this tutorial so you can show everyone your new creation at the end of this post
4 Simple steps to get your own website online
- Domain Name and hosting
- Install WordPress
- Create your first blog post and home page
- Optional – The magic sauce – All in one website builder and marketing page builder
1. Domain name and hosting for your own website
Firstly, you will need a domain name and hosting provider to build your own website
A domain name is your website address where people can find you. For example, www.google.com or www.facebook.com.
Its important to choose the right domain name for your business from the beginning. if you have not decided on a website or blog name, I have published a blog post on how to choose a blog name or domain name which is also applicable to any website
If you look under the hood, every website address is attached to an IP address in a numerical format, a domain name is the corresponding human readable version of an IP address. This makes life easier for people as they would only require typing in the domain name and not have to remember the number like 192.55.123.
Secondly, you will also need a hosting provider. A hosting provider provides the technology for your website to be viewed on the internet, websites are stored on servers which are special computers.
Users will type in your domain name into a browser, their computer will then connect to your server and your own website pages will be displayed
[feature_block style=”icon” overall_style=”icon” columns=”1″ icon_style=”2″ content_font_shadow=”none”][feature title=”Simplified” icon=”248.png” upload_icon=”” bg_color=”” href=””]If you compare domain and hosting to a house
The address of the house is your domain name, the land is the hosting provider and the actual house is your website
Ok, enough of the theory. Lets get stuck in and build your site
lets get a hosting account
To get started, we need to go to A2 Hosting to purchase your hosting and domain name.
There are other providers, but from experience, A2 Hosting is the best for WordPress
Because we will be building a WordPress site, I recommend the swift package on shared hosting, it’s a minimal cost and the servers are extremely fast to handle WordPress.
Choosing swift package will allow you to build as many websites as you wish and its super-fast. This service will help your google rankings as its fast and secure. You need a good host to look after your own website, at the end of the day its your company image that is being displayed
Follow these simple steps to purchase
- Click on the get swift button
- Type in your domain name you wish to purchase and see if its available. Also, choose which TLD you would like e.g .com or .net etc from the dropdown
- If its available you can click continue.
- You can change the billing cycle to monthly if you wish, this will take away the discount you get on an annual subscription but will be better for cash flow
- You don’t need any of the other features yet, click continue
- The next page has a few more options which you can ignore and order at a later stage if you wish
- Last page is your checkout, click checkout and fill in your details and you are done.
- You will receive emails from A2 Hosting , the email with your invoice payment confirmation will have all the details of your package, keep this for reference.
- The important mail is your welcome mail with all the links to your client area. Click on where it says control panel login(client area).
[course_description style=”1″ icon=”1.png” icon_folder=”feature_block” image=”” title=”” content=”PHA+VGhpcyB3aWxsIHRha2UgeW91IHRvIHlvdXIgY2xpZW50IGFyZWEgd2hlcmUgeW91IGNhbiBtYW5hZ2UgeW91ciBob3N0aW5nLCBwdXJjaGFzZSBuZXcgc2VydmljZXMsIG1hbmFnZSB5b3VyIGRvbWFpbiBuYW1lcyBldGMuwqAgRmVlbCBmcmVlIHRvIGdvIHNjb3V0IGFyb3VuZC48L3A+Cg==”][/course_description]
In your A2 Hosting client area
Next, you will see a link to your cPanel, here you can manage everything related to your website.
- Click on the account details link
- The click on the second link to get to your cpanel control area
- Enter in the username and password to get into your cPanel area. This can be found on the previous screen in your A2 Hosting client area
This will take you to your control area where you can manage everything related to your hosting and website
2. Lets Install WordPress to get your own website up and running
The main benefit of using WordPress over wix, shopify, clickfunnels, Weebly and many other cloud based platforms is that YOU OWN YOUR CONTENT AND DATABASE, thats very important as you are not dictated to by your paid monthly service
Just some of the benefits using WordPress
- WordPress is free
- You own your website and its self hosted
- More control
- Can move your site to other servers when and where you like
- Not tied to monthly fees, you only pay for your hosting service
- Create unlimited websites with full control
Steps to install WordPress
- Click on “WordPress A2 Optimizer” under Softaculious app installer. If you did not purchase swift package and higher then click on WordPress tab
- Click install now and fill in the details in the form provided
- A2 Hosting with Swift package comes with an ssl certificate so choose https://
- Choose your domain from the dropdown
- In directory block, leave blank
- Site Name can be anything, whatever your site name will be as well as the description
- Admin account section, this is for your login to the back of your wordpress website. Make sure you have a strong Admin user and password. Save these details to a notepad or word doc as you will meed them later
- You can leave admin email as is and create the address later
- Click install
- Once you have are successful, you can click on the Administrative URL link, like in pic below to the backend of your own website
[course_description style=”1″ icon=”1.png” icon_folder=”feature_block” image=”” title=”Congratulations” content=”PHA+WW91IGFyZSBub3cgaW4gdGhlIGJhY2tlbmQgb2YgeW91ciB3b3JkcHJlc3Mgd2Vic2l0ZS7CoCBUaGlzIGlzIHRoZSBkYXNoYm9hcmQgZm9yIHlvdSB0byBzZXR1cCB5b3VyIHNpdGUgYW5kIG1hbmFnZSB5b3VyIGNvbnRlbnQ8L3A+Cg==”][/course_description]
You can access the front end of your website by clicking as illustrated in the image above. to go back to the dashboard, click dashboard and will take you back
Now, we have one or two settings before we get into the exciting parts of building your site
- Go to settings, click on the reading tab, select the your latest posts as your home page and click save. You can select sample page if you like as your static home page. but for this tutorial we will be focusing on your blog.
- Then, click on permalinks under the settings menu and click on post name under common settings and click save changes
3. Building your first blog post
Now that we have the foundation of your own website built and setup, its time to create your first blog post. We will just use the free theme that comes with WordPress. You have many options here but for the purpose of this tutorial, we will use the default that is setup when you installed WordPress
- Go to posts
- Click on add new
- This will open up a page for you to start creating your first post
- give the blog posts a name
1. The magic sauce to save you loads of time and money
You guys can skip this step as there is a price attached and just use the free themes on WordPress. However, if you want to have the right tools in place from the beginning without hassle, then I recommend following along
In this step, we will install a plugin and theme to make your life easier and your own website more professional using a site builder and creating sales and marketing pages at the click of a button. you can pretty much create any page you want with the easy live editor.
Some of the features you will get with Optimizepress
- Landing Pages
- Secure Membership portals (amazing add on)
- Sales and Marketing Pages
- Product launch funnels
- Free training and course pages
- Authority Blogs
- Webinar Registration pages
- Mobile friendly
- And More
Theme and Site builder
Now that we have an install of WordPress on your website, it’s time to purchase the website builder, marketing software and theme for your site, don’t worry, this takes quick and is the most affordable suite on the market for what it does. You will never invest in another page builder or funnel builder ever again and its all part of the same purchase
As I said, this is completely optional but worth the investment as you wont waste time trying out all the softwares on the market and changing your own website every month. Trust me on this, this will be your new best friend. I am using this for all my websites
- Read more about OptimizePress here , you can also purchase from same link
Go straight to the package options here. The core version will be perfect for your new websites, more importantly you can always upgrade at a later stage if you want.
[course_description style=”1″ icon=”1.png” icon_folder=”feature_block” image=”” title=”Download” content=”PHA+T25jZSB5b3UgaGF2ZSBwdXJjaGFzZWQgT3B0aW1pemVwcmVzcywgY2hlY2sgeW91ciBlbWFpbCBvdXQsIGdvIHRvIHlvdXIgbWVtYmVyIGFyZWEgb24gb3B0aW1pemVwcmVzcyBhbmQgZG93bmxvYWQgdGhlIHRoZW1lIGFuZCBvcHRpbWl6cHJlc3MgcGx1Z2luLjwvcD4K”][/course_description]
You should have two separate downloads
- The theme
- The plugin
Go into your WordPress backend and upload the OptimizePress plugin
- Click Plugins, add new
- Install and activate
Then go and install the theme from the WordPress backend
- Click Appearance, themes, add new and activate
Great, you have everything installed that you need for now.
I advise you to go into your client area for OptimizePress and check out all the video tutorials to get setup properly. I will also have a tutorial series on OptimizPress for you to learn more
Thanks for following along, I hope your own website is up and running and you learnt something from the tutorial.
You now have the foundation to build a truly amazing website